Tuesday, September 14, 2010

First of many, I hope

I am contributing some artwork to PapergirlSF (papergirlsf.com) this week, an art event in San Francisco about which my friend Tony told me. Anyone, anywhere, can send in any art - paintings, drawings, writing, magazines, poetry, even textiles and unframed canvases - as long as it can be rolled up like a newspaper. Volunteers then package the art, mixing the pieces sent by the various contributors, and roll them up in bundles, and hand them out to random people in San Francisco. It's a free distribution of art of many kinds. Some will be appreciated, kept and collected; some will wind up in the trash, or blowing lazily along the dusty city streets.

I am contributing copies of some of my abstract pencil drawings - meditative designs I call "Cells", because they were originally inspired by microphotographs of plant cells. A fellow who saw the drawings yesterday said they looked like paving stones; I have been told they'd make good mosaics or even stained glass designs (if scaled up considerably).

I hope to start an Artspan account in the near future, when I have a chance to take decent photos of my works; in the meantime, this blog will serve as my temporary online gallery. Later today I will post photos of the drawings I am sending to PapergirlSF.

No comments:

Post a Comment